Friday, July 20, 2007

To CTC or not to CTC ....... and Google security issues

Apparently, Google has decided to discontinue the Click-to-call (CTC) feature from their Google Maps site. I wonder why they did that, as it seemed like a very useful feature to have. Looking at the response of users to this news in Google groups, it seems most of them share my disappointment and surprise.

On a different note, many iGoogle and Google reader users have reported that they are able to login to other accounts or notice the accounts switch automatically mid-way through the session. You can read the reports here, here and here. Well, maybe now that Lord Voldemort is back in power, we might expect such eerie events occurring.

Updated:
Since I didn't have a clue regarding why Google discontinued the click-to-call feature, I designed a very well thought out systematic step-by-step procedure to find out the cause. I opened the browser, typed in google.com in the address box, and used the Google search engine to look for the cause.

The plan failed. There is not much information available about Google's thought process (and it may take a little while before bloggers with more expertise than me on this subject try to enlighten us with their views).

But the search revealed something very interesting. I stumbled upon this one year old article , which is by the way a post on Google's official blog, where Google explains that someone hacked into their blog and posted a "fake" article saying Google has decided to remove click-to-call. The Google official added "As for the click-to-call test, it is progressing on schedule, and we're pleased with the results thus far".

Well, it seems the hacker had more insight about this feature than the Google officials. And strangely that one year old article combines the two issues I've mentioned above (click-to-call and Google security issues). I wonder whether the hacker is related to Professor Trelawney.

1 comment:

  1. I was not aware of that fake posting on google blog. quite creepy I must say

    ReplyDelete