Monday, September 10, 2007

One more Bridge to burn… err.. cross.

Last week I got an email invitation to join a professional network site called www.6bridges.com (they have also booked, very thoughtfully, the domain www.sixbridges.com, apparently for people who are less numerically inclined).

But the problem was this: the invitation was not from a friend (as is the norm), but directly from the site. I guess it was sent to the alumni id of my B-school. It kind of pisses me off when people think they can spam the alumni group email id. I thought I would take a look and see what this site is all about. (I could have simply deleted that mail; but that wouldn’t have made a very interesting read on the blog, would it? I mean “I got a spam mail and deleted it” hardly makes the blog readers to sit up and take notice.)

Now, why the name “6 bridges”? The invitation mail mentioned this

The name ‘6bridges' is derived from the fascinating concept of six degrees of separation between people, which the site aims to bridge.


Fair enough. Then I took a look at the site logo, which mentions this

6bridges.com . Building bridges to your future

Now I’m a bit confused. So is it the bridge between people or bridge between one individual and his future? I decided to check out the “About us” page (this is always the first thing I do while reviewing any site). The page mentions the idea of “6 bridges” in following different lines

If the theory about 6 degrees separating people is an interesting one, just what would you call the reality that brings 6 professionals together, whose interests and callings are more degrees apart than 6 !

We decided to call it 6bridges. Bridges that connected the 6 degrees of separation between people, their ideas, interests, paths and helped them to their desired destination.

6 degrees gave us 6 bridges, which in turn gave us these 6 topics.


After reading these lines, I just had 6 words for the founders, viz. “What a truck load of crap”. I wonder if they know what the concept of 6 degrees of separation is all about or just tried to use the number “6” and the word “bridge” in as many different ways as possible.

Interestingly, this site is only limited for alumni of certain pre-determined “elite” colleges (I’ll come back to this point later). My point is, after bragging about bridging the 6 degrees of separation, they have limited their user base to people who are perhaps separated, at the maximum, by two degrees. Anyway, enough bashing for the name, lets move on.

Next page that I checked, since I already knew about their spamming tendency, is the “privacy policy” page. For some reason they have decided to club it together with “terms and conditions” page. Compare this page with that of other professional networking sites; such as Linkedin or even the Indian players like Brijj or Techtribe; and you’ll understand how important “privacy” for 6bridges is.

Now coming back to the idea of limiting the site to only the “elite” colleges. Just out of curiosity, I pulled out my linkedin contact list and selected the top 30 most valuable contacts. Out of those 30, only 7 were from these elite colleges, i.e. more than 75% of my valuable contacts never went to these colleges. 6bridges is clearly designed for the headhunters, not for users like me whose idea of networking is to connect with valuable professionals.

I decided to register with them (with no intention whatsoever of using it in future) and got the confirmation mail after around 14 hours. I guess it’s the time they take to verify whether you actually belong to one of those colleges; a feature which I’m sure would please the headhunters.

When I logged in, I was completely lost. The page was completely cluttered and confusing, just like the home page. Also it seems the site was never tested for firefox users. Some of the dropdown menus, images and page layouts are messed up (I think the page layout problem is there for IE as well). There was no instruction for the new users about how they should start networking with others.

The invitation mail that I received had links to bunch of career related articles, which kind of looked tempting. But once I had registered and viewed those articles, I realized how useless the content was (I should have expected this). The content was mostly copied from several online sources (they were honest enough to provide the link to the original source) and was not organized properly. Some of the articles; such as “Salary Negotiation – Tips and Strategies”, make you wonder who the target audiences are; since any “professional” would find this information useless.

6bridges looks more like a job site, rather than a networking site. But I think they are missing the point. The idea of combining professional networking with head hunting is to identify the passive job seekers and to help get candidates through referrals. I’m not sure how a site designed with keeping only the headhunters in mind and ignoring the networking aspect is ever going to achieve that. As far as I’m concerned, this is one bridge I’m unlikely to cross.

8 comments:

  1. haha .. very impressive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude although I like your writing style, I think you are being very mean to them. some of your points are valid, but things like multiple domain names is a good practice. come on give them some credit for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the appreciation. Coming to the "being mean" part, yeah I was harsh on them, but I don't think it was unjustified.
    About the multiple domain name, its definitely not a good practice. I'll explain this in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lame idea, lame execution, lame name.

    Six Degrees was around in the mid-90s doing the same thing but then ran aground and I think was bought out.

    Everyone wants to do yet another community and most of the time they're nothing more than quick content aggregation sites as a hook, try to get critical mass (a few thousand users), and then hopefully get bought out. There's no value there.

    Then again, you can go to the RFP Database which has fresh content submitted by the community of users AND valuable links to RFPs. What could be better? Oh, and I don't sell your personal information to headhunters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, this is what worries me most. particularly about the Indian players. At the minimum, one has to be clear about the objective of the application , the target audience and try to create some differentiation. Just picking up the name 6 degrees and building a community around it doesn't make any sense.

    I've not seen your RFP database, the idea sounds good, will definitely take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Manas misses the point completely. it seems he went through the contents of the site with a biased motive. I have been a member of 6bridges for the last 2 years and it has helped me find friends from my alma mater (REC). thats what you call a first hand experience of networking through the site. Manas for one, himself sounds so eltitist when he junks the idea of having 2 names, feels the style is all crap etc. thats what elitists do when they realise that others have done what they coudnt in their lifetime!
    Manas talks abt career articles for headhunters! well well Manas...have you ever worked on a business model...if you did yu will know how business models work. i feel that these guys have responded whenever i have asked them a query or helped me connect to ppl. i have benefited, you havent coz you are not even a member. And tell you what, you have such negative comments to make....they gave you a chance to join and perhaps wouldnt have forced you. so its a choice you need to make not them.
    Its right...6bridges is for certain colleges - its again a case of connecting to networks of alums. you arent one...so its a case of sour grapes.
    you are right in a way...its not a bridge you would like to cross. perhaps its a Bridge Too Far for you, Manas! leave it for the lesser mortals like us from RECs of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha :) LMFAO …seriously dude.. who are you man.. do me a favor.. please don’t tell anyone that you are from REC.. you would give all the other RECians a real bad name.

    now before I start responding to your comment (which I’m sure would be a complete waste of time) let me tell you something else.. when you are having an argument and the other party resorts to personal attack, it’s a clear sign that he doesn’t have anything valuable to say… so rather than taking offense to your childish remarks, I’m actually amused to a great extent.. thanks for the entertainment.

    Now go through my post again, ask a friend to explain this to you (the friends you found through 6bridges may be)…. Also for your benefit I’m typing my response slowly here, since clearly you have a problem of comprehending things.. so where do I start.. may be this classic line

    >>>6bridges is for certain colleges - its again a case of connecting to networks of alums. you arent one...so its a case of sour grapes.

    Didn’t I start my post saying that I got an invitation from them on my alum id and they sent me a confirmation of my membership after verifying that I actually belong to the colleges I mentioned (yes I’m an alum of two of the colleges they have in their list)

    >> it seems he went through the contents of the site with a biased motive

    It seems?? I’ve mention clearly that I was pissed off because they spammed me. Yes I went there with a biased motif. So do you think if I had gone there with a good motif the dropdown menu would have been displayed correctly and the site wouldn’t have looked cluttered and the articles would have original content?? So I guess the site was designed to display the content depending on the user’s motif.. neat stuff..


    >> it has helped me find friends from my alma mater....

    But I’ve my alumni sites, yahoo groups, orkut communities for this (as do many others)… We don’t need these guys for that. What additional value are they providing?

    >> thats what elitists do when they realise that others have done what they coudnt in their lifetime!

    Agree! I can’t produce this kind of crap in my lifetime

    >> Manas talks abt career articles for headhunters!

    When? Where?

    >> have you ever worked on a business model...if you did yu will know how business models work

    so eloquent :)

    >> i feel that these guys have responded whenever i have asked them a query ..

    So would a job consultant and any other job site. Why networking?

    >> they gave you a chance to join and perhaps wouldnt have forced you.


    That’s a great favor they are doing on the mankind… I mean “here is some spam mails, but we are not forcing you.. join if you feel like it.. and by the way we just spam all the alumni ids.. nothing personal”.. really cool attitude…

    >> leave it for the lesser mortals like us from RECs of the world!

    Dude, honestly don’t club all RECian with you.. we deserve much better than that.. we take great pride in our institutes and in ourselves .. we don’t hide in anonymity while discussing any issue (if the garbage you have written can be classified as a “discussion”)

    You know what.. It takes a great deal of effort to make a complete fool of oneself in just two paragraphs and you have achieved it with such an ease.. I would have taken my hat off to you… had I been wearing one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's quite a fan following u have here.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete