Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Brijjes and Tribes

In the past, I’ve written about how it’s difficult for the new players in the social networking market place to “steal” users from the incumbents. So out of curiosity I decided to check out how the one month old Brijj is doing in the market.

In the absence of any other reliable source, I turned, a bit reluctantly, to Alexa. Some of us, who have been keeping track of Alexa rankings for different sites, usually view these stats with the same degree of skepticism typically reserved for things like Saurabh Ganguly’s call for a quick single or Munaf Patel’s declaration that he is completely match fit; i.e. things that have let you down in the past.

The Alexa traffic graphs for Brijj showed that there was an initial peak and after that it followed a downward slope (This is obviously along the expected lines). But, of course these graphs in isolation didn’t make any sense. I thought it would be more interesting to compare the graphs of Brijj with those of the other players in the market.

A direct competitor for Brijj is techtribe; both are professional network sites targeted specifically to the Indian audience. Techtribe is in market for over a year now; so I expected it to have a greater reach and higher page views than Brijj. But I was in for a surprise. The Alexa graphs showed that Brijj has almost 4-6 times more reach and 3-8 times more page views. Techtribe is ranked 2045 in India; as opposed to Brijj which has a very impressive rank of 371.


Now, I’m not in a position to do a feature by feature comparison of the two sites. I’ve never used techtribe and the time I’ve spent in Brijj would make a typical Sehwag innings look longer. But on the face of it, techtribe looks more content reach (and understandably so). Techtribe has communities, knowledge sections, job postings and so on, which are as of now not present in Brijj. So the question obviously is how Brijj managed to generate so many page views. Is it due to the marketing efforts put in by Infoedge? Is it due to the naukri brand name? Is it due to the fact that Infoedge had a much larger employee base to start the word-of-mouth campaign (seems like a trivial point, but some of my “sources” have told me that Orkut was launched that way)?

I think it’s just a matter of when and not if Brijj would introduce features like job referrals, communities, answers etc. It would be interesting then to see if Brijj can challenge the bigger players like linkedin.

[For some reason the Alexa webservices are not returning any result. I thought of using their widgets to put the graphs directly in the blog, but in stead of the graph I only got a blank space. If you know what's the issue, please let me know]

4 comments:

  1. I just looked at the alexa graphs. They average the numbers over theyear, which explains the difference. Over the last month, Tribes has climbed to an average rank of 35-40K, whereas Brij has dropped.

    The other difference is probably the word of mouth effect for a new site. It'll be interesting to watch the progress over the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure Alexa averages numbers over one year. Take a look at this link : http://www.alexa.com/site/help/traffic_learn_more

    and even if they average, not sure how that explains the poor reach and page views of techtribe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are alexa Rankings reliable? Only if an user has installed the alexa toolbar, then his visit is counted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. As I've mentioned in the post, I'm not a great fan of Alexa myself.

    However as long as the use of the Alexa toolbar is random (i.e. there is no correlation between the propensity to download the toolbar with the probability of visiting a particular site), we can assume that the data is representative of the entire internet population.

    Let me explain this with a hypothetical scenario: If it's found that more users in India download the alexa tooldbar than those in US; then we might see that Orkut/rediff have higher ranks than myspace/ facebook etc.

    If you visit the link I've posted in my previous comment, you can see some disclaimer by Alexa stating some scenarios where the data may not be very reliable.

    ReplyDelete