Monday, October 8, 2007

The Office Jerk - (The Trip Planner)

Just imagine this scenario; you have managed to avoid OJ for one whole week. You are sitting at your desk, working on some interesting task and finally beginning to think that life is actually not that bad at all; when you suddenly hear foot steps behind you. You fear for the worst, close your eyes and pray to God. But its one of those instances which push you more towards becoming an atheist. The dreaded conversation starts…

OJ: Hey man.. how are you doing mate.

M: As a matter of fact, I was doing very well.

OJ: I was really busy last week man, couldn’t catch up with you.

M: The good old days…

OJ: What?

M: Nothing. I was just thinking of something. Did you say you were busy? Got some new project?

OJ: You have to start thinking beyond these mundane activities.. there are plenty of people to take care of these things.. I was involved in something far more important.

M: which is?

OJ: I’m completely in charge of planning a trip for the team. You know for celebrating our last quarter results.

M: Oh! That’s great. Must be really challenging work. So have you finalized a location yet?

OJ: Absolutely, that’s what I’ve been trying to do for last 3 weeks. We are going to go to Kushinagar

M: Err.. never heard of that place. Why did you finalize that one?

OJ: I’ve seen all the other tourist places nearby. So this is the only one missing from my travel diary..

M: Oh! But didn’t you visit the other places just to find out which one is suitable for the trip? (decided not to add “at company's expense”)

OJ: Yes, and they are all good.. but now I’ve seen them all. This is the only one I couldn’t visit..

M: Gotcha! So now everything is done, right? We are all set.

OJ: Gee, Man. If everyone has an attitude like you, nothing will ever get done in this company. Now my real work begins.. I’ve to come up with a list of people who are allowed to go on the trip.

M: Err.. but I thought our entire project team is going.

OJ: Holy mother of God!! Do you want this company to go bankrupt? Jesus … We are celebrating the last quarter’s result, so only people who joined before that can go. See this list, I’ve removed the names of the three people who joined this month.

M: That surely would save us from bankruptcy…. But hold on, didn’t this girl join the team last week. How come she is on the trip?

OJ: Ah! I thought it would give her a nice chance to mix-up with the team..

M: What about the three guys, who joined just two weeks back?

OJ: What about them? They already know our names…

M: Right!! So this trip planning must be taking a lot of your time

OJ: Yes, but I’m also working on other things simultaneously. For example, I’m planning this knowledge sharing session for the team..

M: (chocked on the coffee, which prompted OJ to pat him on the back.. a completely disgusting experience) Knowledge sharing session? I didn’t know that you have some exclusive product or process knowledge.

OJ: Small mind.. small thoughts.. think beyond these things man. My knowledge sharing session is about something way way more important.

M: do I even dare to ask?

OJ: You remember that personal trip I took to US two months back?

M: How can I forget? I’ve heard about it so many times that it feels like I was there.

OJ: Exactly, this is what I want the entire team to feel. They should know how to deal with challenges while traveling abroad. At the end of it, they will be as capable as me.

M: Didn’t you actually get mugged couple of times in that trip?

OJ: So? What’s your point?

M: Nothing.. I just think this session is not required. Entire team now knows everything about the trip. I mean what you ate, where you slept, what you wore. We know it all.

OJ: But there can never be too much of a good thing. So I’ll again give you guys all the details… and besides that, the new girl has missed most my narrations.

M: Right, the poor girl. Anyway I think you can go now..

OJ: Why? You don’t like me here.

M: No no.. I absolutely enjoy it. I just noticed that the new girl is back from her coffee break, so you might want to get back to the mentoring you have been doing for last few days..

OJ: Oh.. cool.. thanks mate.. see you again..

M: I can hardly wait..

7 comments:

  1. Dude - u got urself a fan!
    Awesome write up mate...kinda reminds me of the little tea breaks we ran out for when someone paid us a visit - you know who - i dare not take the name ;)

    Think you can come up with something like Chetan Bhagat's Five point someone...

    Kudos...

    Cheers...Bhaskar

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is just rocking....

    i just spilled my guts laughing.... LOL....

    too good.... i want to see the look on the face of "u know who" when they read this...

    hope the jerk has the brains to know it's him/her were talking about.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what are you talking about...

    all these examples are completely fictitious

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh ! Man...
    Dat is sumthing..five star rating ★★★★★
    d best part is dat u still remember d poor girl ... ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. now we need some stories on the office gymming dude out to make his superman physique.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. next in line... HE gets a camera......

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can read this a hundred times and spill my guts laughing

    ReplyDelete